Thanks Jusuchin of A Journey Through Life for nominating me for the Sunshine Award! It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these award posts, and I have a couple of others which I need to do–including rating Spring 2019 and telling you all what I intend to do about this season. At any rate, please give Jusuchin’s blog a visit. He tends follow one or two anime a season. His choices always have plenty of action and come near to my own tastes in anime.
Here are the rules:
- Thank the person who nominated you and provide a link to their blog so that other people can visit them
- Answer the 11 questions put to you by the nominator
- Nominate 11 bloggers of your choosing and provide them with a new set of 11 questions to answer
- Notify the nominees by commenting on one of their blog posts
- List the rules and display The Sunshine Blogger Award logo within your post or on your blog site.
Now, let me answer those eleven questions.
1) What got you into anime and how old were you?
My recollection places me at age fifteen around my sophomore year of high school. Millennials have been dubbed “the Cartoon Generation,” so it seems only natural that I would eventually discover that anime existed as a separate genre of cartoons. Coming across Vampire Hunter D and Rurouni Kenshin on Toonami kindled my interest in anime and the rest is history.
2) If you watch romantic comedy anime, what is your favorite and why? If not, why don’t you like romcoms?
My favorite romantic comedy anime is School Rumble. I love screwball humor, and each character proves to be very likable and hilarious in their own way.
3) What do you do outside of anime? Non-anime related hobbies.
I read a lot and go shooting. I used to have playing chess and go for hobbies also, but leaving college has made it harder for me to find the time and other
4) What was the most controversial post you’ve ever written? In terms of either the content or commentary?
That has to be the post where I claim that the sexes are not equal but complimentary: “Examining Old School Anime: The Inequality of the Sexes.” A close runner up has to do with my examination of Kisara’s duel with her nefarious brother: “Kisara’s Revenge: Right or Wrong?”. (I still remember reading the comment: “…many Christians argue murder is not a sin if carried out under specified conditions, like Mediaeval here.” xD) The later gathered more commentary, but I think that the idea expressed in the first is more controversial. My long time readers may disagree.
5) Cost and restrictions not being an issue, where would you travel to for vacation?
Croatia. That is where my mother’s side of the family comes from, and I would love to see it one day. In the meantime, I really need to brush up on my Croatian: Govorim malo i slabo!
6) You’ve won the lottery. Spend it all or save it up? (Common ‘what if’ question at work.)
Save it–duh! Why would I want to be as poor as I was before I won the lottery? Though, I hear that lottery winners quickly spending all their winnings commonly happens. A large expenditure upfront would be relocating to someplace where people won’t constantly be bugging me for money. After that, I’d save as much as possible.
7) What do you think of social media (twitter, Facebook, Instagram) outside of your blog? Helpful in getting your word out? Or a time sink and potential for trouble?
I suppose that it’s helpful, but I’ve never been the best at using Twitter or Facebook. It does strike me as a waste of time, and Twitter is filled with mindless drivel.
8) If you drink alcoholic beverages, what is your preferred poison? If you do not, favorite ice cream flavor?
It used to be reserve port–Sandeman’s, Warre’s, or Graham’s. These days, however, gin seems to be my preference in one of the following forms: Dubonnet and gin, martini, or negroni. Broker’s Gin is my current gin of choice, but only because I cannot find Anchor Distilling Co.’s Junipero anywhere.
9) What sort of music do you listen to when relaxing or doing relaxing activities?
Baroque or Classical Music. Vivaldi, Bach, and Haydn are my favorite composers in that order.
10) What video game are you currently playing?
I found a little game on my kindle called Warships Universe. It’s an amusing way to pass the time.
11) I will have to ask as well, but which is much more frightening for you? A zombie apocalypse or a vampire apocalypse?
My first thought is a vampire apocalypse, but there are several advantages to a vampire apocalypse over a zombie apocalypse:
- One is free to roam and collect supplies without being molested during daylight hours.
- Various talismans can be used to ward off vampires without relying on brute strength.
- Because vampires have reason, it might be possible to come to a peace agreement with the vampires in your area.
Those advantages are wholly lost in the case of a zombie apocalypse. The need to be constantly on guard lest one be mobbed and trapped from where there is no escape makes a zombie apocalypse more terrifying. I might also add that one is liable to a far more gruesome manner of death from a zombie than a vampire.
List of my nominees:
- Nami of The Drama Lama
- NegativePrimes of A Curiously Dead Cat
- suburbanbanshee of Aliens in this World
- Lynn of Books and Traveling with Lynn
- Benigmatica of The Anime Rambler
- Karandi James of 100 Word Anime
- Will Sirius of When Sirius Writes
- Rose of Wretched and Divine
- Marina of Anime B&B
- Lesley Aeschliman of Lesley’s Anime and Manga Corner
- The Backloggers
Some of you have probably told me that you don’t do award posts, and I have forgotten who. So, I apologize ahead of time for nominating you folks again against your wishes. Just know that I appreciate your writing!
Here are my questions. I intend to shamefully steal a few from Jusuchin’s list, but there will be some original ones too.
- Are you fluent in a second language or studied enough to understand basic conversations in one or more?
- What is your favorite American comic strip?
- If you had to live the rest of your life in another country, which would you choose?
- What is your favorite city? Or do you hate/love metropolitan areas so much that you can’t choose one?
- What is your favorite manga?
- What manga or light novel are you reading currently? Or, what novel are you reading now if you’re reading neither of those two?
- If you could have any book or movie remade into an anime, which would it be?
- Is a zombie or vampire apocalypse more frightening to you?
- What counts as your most controversial post?
- Do you ever write a draft of a post with pen and paper before typing it up on the computer?
- Are you more of a tea or coffee person–or neither one?
Thanks for reading!